Manual Osteopathy identifies, assesses, and treats the body’s structures and rhythms using a gentle, hands-on approach. This fundamental technique is called osteopathic palpation.
Manual osteopaths develop a very sensitive sense of touch to master osteopathic palpation. Osteopathic palpation is what makes manual osteopathy different from other forms of therapy.
What it treats
- Osteoarticular corrections – gentle realignment of the bones
- Visceral mobilization – gentle mobilization of the organs of the body
- Cranial osteopathy – gentle movement of the bones of the skull & fluids
- Normalization of myopicial tension restoring normalcy in the muscles and surrounding tissue
- Muscle energy – creation of muscle relaxation through muscle contraction
- Strain counterstrain – method of relaxing and re-positioning joints
In addition to this, your therapist will also provide advice regarding your diet, exercises, and lifestyles choices to help your body healing capabilities. By restoring these body mechanics to an area, osteopathic manual therapists allow the normal flow of fluids and improved function, which can help to reduce pain for a patient.